pedestrian
in SAINT-GEORGES-DE-REX

Le circuit des lavoirs de Saint-Georges-de-Rex

Come and enjoy a peaceful journey, discovering the wash houses of the village of Saint-Georges-de-Rex.

Route details

SAINT-GEORGES-DE-REX
pedestrian
Red man and black arrow
Cultural, Historical, Nature (fauna, flora)

Description

The village, located in the limestone plain, overlooks a small preserved marsh. Certainly one of the oldest market garden towns. Thanks to the sale by candlelight of part of the communal marsh and with the stones of the old sanctuary, a new building was built by the Niort architect Bergeron from 1881 to 1882. Partly acquired by the Regional Conservatory of Natural Spaces of Poitou-Charentes, the Saint-Georges-de-Rex and Amuré marshes present two major ecosystems: 40 ha of ash wooded islands to the west and 125 ha of wet meadows to the east. The flagship species of this confetti are the marsh spurge, the ophioglossa buttercup, the marsh fern, the marsh copper (butterfly), the Alpine rosalia (insect), the genet and the European otter.
DifficultyEasyDuration01hDistance3,0 km
To download

Was this content useful to you?