This former seigniorial domain, watered by the Mignon, was formerly called Saint-Martin-d’Augé. It included a buried priory in a nest of greenery, a few hundred meters from the Chizé forest. Where does this surname come from? In the 4th century, Martin, then abbot of Ligugé, traveling fromAvailles-sur-Chizé à Mauze-sur-le-Mignon, stopped there to evangelize the population. In 1804, the prefect Dupin writes that the wines, which constitute the most important income of the commune, are good, especially the whites. An excellent eau-de-vie is made from it which is very close to that of Cognac. In 1928, the village took the name of Buffers, located one kilometer fromincreased, mentioned in the 2018th century and where the town hall is located. In XNUMX, it merged with Prissé-la-Charriere, Belleville et Saint-Etienne-la-Cigogne to form the new commune of Plain of Argenson and becomes a delegated municipality whose capital is Prissé-la-Charriere.

What to see in Boisserolles?

01. The old Saint-Martin priory

This priory depended on theAugustinian abbey of Saint-Séverin located four kilometers away. In 1180, Richard Lion's Heart authorizes the monks to collect in the Chizé forest the dead wood needed for heating, to kill hares and foxes with archery, to capture bees to exploit their honey. The wooden church is rebuilt in stones in the 12th century. Devastated during the Wars of Religion, It is raised, then ruined again by the revolutionaries who transform it into quarries. THE sanctuary is sold to an individual in 1798. Without a church, the parish was annexed to Saint-Etienne-la-Cigogne. Ancient pilgrimage on the day of Saint-Martin, on November 11, at the Augé fountain whose water is supposedly healing.

Other curiosities to see…

  • The war memorial in Saint-Martin-d’Augé
  • The monumental cross in tribute to all the fighters
  • The Sylve d’Argenson country GR

Was this content useful to you?