Its name comes from the Gallic berge designating the edge of a path ou from germain berg meaning height and groie which is a brown limestone soil. The lordship is mentioned for the first time in 1244 and is attached to that of Prahecq, then the marquisate of streamer until 1611. In 1791, the parish came under the canton of Prahecq. One of its first lords is Aubert de Poilevoisin, support ofHugues de Lusignan during the conflict opposing him to Saint Louis in 1242, which earned him the temporary confiscation of one's land. In 1775, there were around twenty estates, a windmill and a stud farm. The old buildings, mainly made up of farms, today bear witness to the agricultural past of the commune.

What to see in Saint-Martin-de-Bernegoue?

01. The Church of Sainte-Marie-Madeleine

She is the only surviving religious building of the three in the commune. Its priory depended on theBenedictine Abbey of Déols (Indre). Built in the 12th century, it is burned by Protestants in 1568 (well of the old presbytery as a vestige). The choir of the chapel is enlarged by a nave to become parish church in the 17th century (burial site of many local notables). Saved from sale by its inhabitants in 1793, it was restored in the XNUMXth and XNUMXth centuries.

Other curiosities to see:

  • Le Pré Palet where lies a slab of dolmen linked to the memory of the giant Gargantua
  • The town hall Jules Ferry type with its two contiguous classes
  • The Year 2000 Monument made by local children
  • The Saint-Martin Clan (pond from a washhouse fed by a well)
  • The Point of Aether
  • The Ouchelines website
  • The Leaf Trail (10 km walking route marked by leaves)

Was this content useful to you?