The village, watered by the MignonIt was first mentioned in 1183. First in the hands ofEleanor of AquitaineIn 1346, the seigneury became the domain of the Count of Eu and Guinesa constable of France. Beheaded in 1350, his property is confiscated to the Crown and later assigned to Marguerite de Valoisdaughter of Charles VI. Then, Charles VII gives it to Christin de Chamberscaptain of his Scottish guard. In the middle of the 18th century, the parish, made up of tenant farms, was partly covered by communal woods. It was raises sheep and some oxenIt cultivates the vine until thephylloxera invasion in 1880. Following the disappearance of Prissé-le-Grand, Belleville inherits the hamlet ofAyguis in 1888. In 2018, it merged with Prissé-la-Charrière, Saint-Etienne-la-Cigogne and Boisserolles to form the new commune of Plaine d'Argenson and becomes a delegated commune with the chief town being Prissé-la-Charrière. The village still retains its agricultural vocation.
What to see in Belleville?
01. The Church of Our Lady
Annex of Saint-Etienne-la-Cigognethe 12th century building is largely unfinished. destroyed during the Wars of ReligionIt was repaired at the beginning of the 18th century. It is again renovated in the 19th century. Its arcaded bell tower with two niches is rebuilt as is. Its choir was given a plastered vault in 1900. A few of the church's buildings are still standing today. Romanesque remains. L'former Priory of the Hermitants of the Order of Fontevrault, founded in 1130, was located on the The Way of Saint James.