This former seigneurial estatewatered by the Cutewas once called Saint-Martin-d'Augé. It included a buried priory a few hundred metres from the town centre. Chizé forest. Where does this name come from? In the 4th century, Martin, then abbot of Ligugé, went fromAvailles-sur-Chizé à Mauzé-sur-le-Mignonstops here to evangelise the population. In 1804, the Prefect Dupin writes that the wines, which constitute the most important income of the commune, are good, especially the whites. They make an excellent brandy which is very similar to that of Cognac. In 1928, the village was renamed Boisserolleslocated one kilometre fromAugéIt is mentioned in the 13th century and where the town hall is located. In 2018, it merged with Prissé-la-Charrière, Belleville and Saint-Etienne-la-Cigogne to form the new commune of Plaine d'Argenson and becomes a delegated commune with the chief town being Prissé-la-Charrière.
What to see in Boisserolles?
01. The former St Martin's Priory
This priory depended on theAugustinian abbey of Saint-Séverin four kilometres away. In 1180, Richard the Lionhearted allowed the monks to collect in the Chizé forest dead wood for heating, to kill hares and foxes with a bow, to capture bees to exploit their honey. The wooden church is rebuilt in stone in the 12th century. Devastated during the Wars of ReligionIt is raised, then ruined again by the revolutionaries who turned it into a cellar. The sanctuary is sold to a private individual in 1798. Without a church, the parish is annexed to Saint-Etienne-la-Cigogne. Ancient pilgrimage on Saint-Martinon 11 November at the fountain of Augé whose water is said to be healing.
Other sights to see...
- The war memorial in Saint-Martin-d'Augé
- The monumental cross in homage to all the combatants
- The Sylve d'Argenson GR trail