First mentioned in 980, the village was renamed SymphorienThe name was changed to Phorien-s.-Sèvre because its initial syllable had the same assonance as the proscribed adjective. The commune can be proud of having seen the birth of the ancestor of Lyndon Baines Johnson, 36th President of the United States: Pierre-François Creuzé, born in 1693, a persecuted Huguenot who emigrated to England and then to the Americas. Amédée de La Porte, mayor of St-Symphorien and owner of the Château de Lens, was, in the 19th century, head of the cabinet of the Minister of Public Works, then under-secretary of State for the Navy. His son Henri also embarked on a distinguished career as Minister of Public Instruction, Permanent Secretary of the Académie Française and one of the major political players in the Deux-Sèvres.
What to see in Saint-Symphorien?
01. The castle-hall
In the heart of the village and in a park, bordered by a reach and alleys, the castle, former seat of the seignioryIt was probably rebuilt in the 19th century. Only the following have been preserved two early towers flanking the main façade.
What to see The panoramic wallpapers in the mayor's and deputy mayor's offices, dating from 1825 and classified as historical monuments.
02. Lens Castle (private)
This listed castle, built in the 18th century in the heart ofa French garden andan English-style parkdedicates its activity in organic farming since 2003.
Other sights to see:
- The church of St. Symphorien inscribed in 1927 (Romanesque nave extended by another Gothic nave, 18th-century bell tower, statue of the Virgin and Child nestling in a buttress, crucifix dating from 1613 on the north wall).
- The outbuildings of the old Crespé house with a curious façade planted with bones in five rows
- The Administrative, Social and Cultural Centre in the park of the town hall (bujhaïe museum, orangery, bread oven)
- The Barrel Reach feeding several laundries