Church of Saint-Caprais in Bessines
The hermit Caprais, a little-known saint, became the 1st bishop of Agen in the 4th century. Bessines is the only church in the diocese of Poitiers with this name.
The church was first mentioned in a charter in 988. The 11th-century monument was rebuilt in the 15th century. Half-ruined during the Wars of Religion, it was partially restored in the 17th century. In 1982, following damage caused by bad weather, the building was restored, and then opened to worship again in 1986.
Worth seeing: 17th-century portal, bell tower-comb, 2 shell fonts (Bessines is on the Pilgrim's Way to Santiago de Compostela), rood beam depicting the risen Christ surrounded by Mary and John the Evangelist (created in 1982 by Niort sculptor Laurent Page and installed in 2000 to celebrate the building's millennium), 1771 hosannière cross in the cemetery.