Its name derives from the Gallic berge meaning the edge of a path or du germain berg meaning height and groie which is a brown limestone. The seigneury is first mentioned in 1244 and is attached to that of Prahecqand then the marquisate of Fors until 1611. In 1791, the parish became part of the canton of Prahecq. One of its first lords is Aubert de Poilevoisinsupport forHugues de Lusignan during the conflict between him and Saint Louis in 1242, which earned him the temporary confiscation of his land. In 1775, there were about twenty estates, a windmill and a stud farm. The old buildings, mainly farms, bear witness to the agricultural past of the municipality.

What to see in Saint-Martin-de-Bernegoue?


01. The church of St. Mary Magdalene

It is the only surviving religious building of the three in the commune. Its priory depended on theBenedictine Abbey of Déols (Indre). Built in the 12th century, it is burned by Protestants in 1568 (well of the former presbytery as a remnant). The choir of the chapel was extended by a nave to become parish church in the 17th century (burial place of many local notables). Saved from being sold by its inhabitants in 1793, it was restored in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Other sights to see:

  • Le Pré Palet where a dolmen slab lies in memory of the giant Gargantua
  • The town hall Jules Ferry type with two adjoining classrooms
  • The Year 2000 Monument made by the children of the community
  • The Saint Martin Clan (pond from a wash house fed by a well)
  • The Aether Point
  • The Ouchelines site
  • The Leaf Trail (10 km walking route marked with leaves)

This content was useful to you

Save

Share this content