Although it is the smallest commune in the canton of Prahecq and the least populated, Saint-Romans has been occupied since the Bronze Age (objects preserved in the museums of Niort). First mentioned in the early 13th century, the village was originally called Saint-Romain-des-Champs. A Christian soldier and martyr from the 3rd century, Roman of Rome was celebrated on 9 August. Every last Sunday in July, the local country entertainment association organises its Old-fashioned threshing festival.
What to see in Saint-Romans-des-Champs?
01. The church of St. Romain
It belonged to the archpriesthood of Melle, and its parish priest was appointed by theabbot of Charroux. In 1536, Hilaire Brisson founded the chapel known as "des Brissons". The modest sanctuary was vaulted and equipped with a small bell tower in 1688. Demolished in 1866, the parish was then joined to that of Brûlain.
02. The oratory of La Fragnée
This is the the only place of worship in the commune. It is produced by Jean CordomiA plaster statue of the Virgin Mary, from the church of St-Romans, on the road to La Fragnée, near the cemetery which replaced the old one in 1784. A plaster statue of the Virgin, from the church in BrûlainIt was installed in 1954. Damaged, it was replaced in 1994 by another stone one acquired from Lourdes.
03. The Puits-Neuf washhouse
In the past, women used to rinse their clothes with water from the well, which also allowed them to fill two tanks to water their cattle. A washerwoman's face is sketched with a knife on the well by a man who did not frequent this place at the time. The washhouse was renovated in 1995.