Coming to Niort - Marais Poitevin is easy, getting around is even easier! Niort is very well served by train and in particular with the LGV which links Paris - Niort in less than 2 hours. Sound bus network 100% free of charge is also advantageous for getting around the city centre and its suburbs. There are many electric bikes are available at unbeatable costs. Soft mobility is a major asset in this natural area!
Coming to Niort - Marais Poitevin
HIGH-SPEED TRAIN - LGV
TGV Paris-La Rochelle. Stop at Niort station.
Coming to Niort by train from Paris is now faster and easier thanks to the LGV (Ligne à Grande Vitesse). Since the opening of the LGV in 2017, it is possible to reach the city of Niort in only 1h47 from Paris. Trains leave regularly from Montparnasse station and arrive at Niort station, located a few minutes from the city centre. The LGV also offers convenient connections to other destinations in the Poitou-Charentes region, such as La Rochelle and Bordeaux. Travellers can therefore easily explore this beautiful region and its tourist attractions while enjoying a comfortable and fast train journey.
Travelling by TER train is a practical and efficient option for getting around the New Aquitaine region. The TER network serves many towns and villages in the conurbation, such as Niort and Mauzé-sur-le-Mignon, but also allows you to go further afield, such as to La Rochelle or Poitiers.
Some mileage indications:
Niort-Paris: 408 km
Niort-Bordeaux: 180 km
Niort-Nantes: 150 Km
Niort-Poitiers: 74 km
Niort-La Rochelle: 66 km
Niort-Angoulême: 115 Km
Looking for charging points for your electric car?
There are a number of applications to help you get around Niort - Marais Poitevin by electric car:
- ChargeMap : An application that features a map to help you find a nearby electric vehicle charging point in the same way as Google Maps, with access to useful resources on electric cars and the chance to share your experience with other users.
NB: Badge without subscription for €19.90.
- Plugshare Free application with a map for finding an electric charging point. It also lets you get in touch with other users.
- NextCharge : Free application for finding electric charging points.
- Charge Price : Free application that lists and compares all the tariffs offered at a charge point.
- Cocoparks : Find underground car parks with charging points and on-street charging options.
Getting around the territory by :
The Tanlib public and sustainable transport network present in the Niort Agglomeration Community set up by Transdev is 100% free.
The website and application has a tab "Nearby" to find out exactly where the bus you're waiting for is, down to the minute, thanks to geolocation. Find out more by clicking here.
The website and the application have been designed to be practical for people in fragile social situations (Esat, Itep, IME, Mission locale...) or disability.
19 passenger information terminals are deployed under the shelters of 5 transport hubs (Brèche, SNCF station, Atlantic hub, Curie and Maisons-Rouges), providing precise information on the arrival of a bus. They are adapted to blind or visually impaired users thanks to a remote control that triggers an audio tape.
To simplify information for schoolchildren, a bus timetable guide by college and high school from each commune is available for download at tanlib.com and the sites of the institutions.
PRM transport Tanlib on demand PMR"is a specialised door-to-door transport service for people with reduced mobility. It is intended for people who are unable to use regular buses and coaches because of their disability.
The Maraîchine line changed its name and became lines 21 and 22. They are valid all year round and include 6 departures from Niort (6 during school time). They leave from the SNCF station, pass by the Brèche gardens and the Pôle Atlantique. The 21 then serves Bessines, Frontenay-Rohan-Rohan, Sansais, Amuré, Saint-Georges-de-Rex, Le Vanneau, Arçais and Saint-Hilaire-la-Palud. As for the 22, it goes towards Sevreau, Magné and Coulon. Please remember to book the day before, before 5pm, for 2 out of 3 times. More information by clicking here. Like the rest of the tanlib network, these two lines are free !
A free shuttle bus circulates in the city centre and on the Saint-André hill every twenty minutes, from 7.40am to 7.20pm, Monday to Saturday.
Since 19 December 2019, the first electric minibus has been operating in the city centre. Two more vehicles were added to the fleet in March 2020. These shuttles serve the two circuits of the city centre, from the Brèche to Les Halles, via the Main Bridges and Saint-André Hill.
More info by clicking here.
Business, private or medical travel?
The City of Niort has set up a single freephone number to book taxis: 09.70.09.09.09.
It is also possible to take advantage of a transport on demand by reservation on 05 49 24 27 31. The timetables for the TAD (transport on demand) and for the TPMR (transport for people with reduced mobility) are set from 6am to 9pm, Monday to Friday and on Saturday and Sunday from 8am to 6.30pm.
Carpooling areas are at the A10 tollbooth, at Granzay-Gript (exit 33) or at La Crèche, in the direction of Bordeaux or Paris; at the entrance or exit of the A83 tollbooth, in the direction of or on the way back from Nantes: at La Crèche or between Oulmes and Benet, exit 9 (Blablacar carpooling area)
The Niort Tourist Office also suggests the SNCF train station or in the city centre, opposite the Méga-CGR, rue du 14-Juillet.
The car park located at the exit of the A10 motorway, in Poitiers sud, has been equipped with 36 new parking spaces.
Vehicle rental companies
Do you need a vehicle to go on holiday, to move house or to carry out work? Find the list of vehicle rental companies partners of the Tourist Office :
- Europcar in Niort,
- Ford Rent Niort in Chauray,
- Sixt - Car rental in La Rochelle. here our airport transfer service.
By bike or electric scooter
A electrically assisted bicycle service (with integrated battery) is offered to people with no medical restrictions to cycling.
Rental rates: €40 for one month or €360 for one year with the possibility of monthly payments of €40 and three months free.
Working people can deduct their employer's 50% contribution to the transport premium.
More info by clicking here.
A device for self-service bicycles is Tanlib has set up 6 stations with a total of 50 bicycles, with or without electric batteries, in Niort (Brèche gardens - at the bottom of avenue Bujault, SNCF station, Atlantic pole, university pole, Moulin du Milieu and the long-distance bus station on avenue de La Rochelle).
You are interested in free rental of an electrically assisted scooter for a period of one month? Then come and collect your pre-registration form from the Tanlib agency, at the bottom of the Brèche gardens, in Niort. It can also be downloaded by clicking here and limited to one person per household. The hire includes a meter, safety waistcoat and anti-theft device. To qualify, you must be at least 18 years old, live in the Niort Agglo area and pay a deposit of €800.
Need to transfer your luggage and organise your cycling trip? Do not hesitate to contact :
- The Green Bicycle in Arçais (organisation of cycling tours and holidays in France and Europe), tel: 05.49.35.42.56, @ : [email protected]. More info by clicking here.
- France vélo (bike hire and luggage handling on the Atlantic coast and in the Loire Valley), tel: 07.68.73.98.31., @ : [email protected]. More info by clicking here.
Parking in Niort
Paid car parks:
- La Brèche : jardins de la Brèche, 530 seats, 1st hour free and tariffs per 1/4 hour. Outside: bicycle garage near the Méga-CGR (free and unsecured),
- Marcel Paul : rue Tartifume, 471 seats, tariffs per 1/4 hourThese include a free 1st hour, a covered and secure bicycle storage area, and a reduced rate (€34/month) to enable students to park at lower cost in the Marcel-Paul car park (also applied to two-wheeled vehicles in the Saint-Jean, La Roulière, Hôtel de Ville and Marcel-Paul car parks),
- Bellune : avenue de Paris, 84 seats,
- Town Hall : rue du Mûrier, 244 spaces, tariffs per 1/4 hour1st hour free,
- Saint-Hilaire : rue du 14-Juillet, 117 seats,
- Biscara : access by Les Vieux Ponts, 83 seats,
- Moulin du Milieu : Quai Kronstadt, 225 spaces, ticket sales from 9am to 8pm, tariffs per 1/4 hourfree on Sundays and public holidays.
- La Roulière : rue Beauchamp, 350 seats, tariffs per 1/4 hour1st hour free,
- Chanzy : Place Chanzy, 230 seats,
- Tackle : rue de la Mégisserie, 84 spaces. In the green zone: prices from 1 hour.
- Railway station : 53 spaces. Short-term paid car park in front of the station and Place Pierre Sémard; long-term paid and secure car park behind the station, rue de l'Industrie.
Online booking: book your parking online.
- Rue du Bas Paradis extended,
- Parking Place du Port,
- Henri Gelin,
- De Liniers,
- Parking de la Cure,
- Parking de la Comédie,
Here is all the information about paying car parks in Niort (rates, subscriptions...).
Responsibility for parking and related sanctions is fully transferred to the municipalities which decide the price of parking and the amount of fines for non-payment. This measure is part of the MAPTAM law (Modernisation de l'action publique territoriale et d'affirmation des métropoles), which clarifies the powers of local authorities by strengthening their status and the powers allocated to them (spatial planning, mobility, etc.). An amendment transfers responsibility for parking and the corresponding resources to these authorities. The expected effects are better rotation of vehicles parked on the roads and improved traffic flow. These are two possible ways of boosting the attractiveness of the city centre.
The So Spacethe semi-public company responsible for managing parking in Niort, makes life easier for motorists by an application allowing them to pay for parking with their smartphone in the streets of the city. The procedure is simple and free: go to prestopark.com or easypark.com to open an account and provide your identity, vehicle registration, bank details, etc. You can also download it from the Applestore, Playstore or Windowsphone.
Info at 05.49.06.84.50.
The start-up "Yespark" allows motorists to access the private parking (parking spaces not used by individuals and companies). A Niort, Groupama is putting 80 places available rue Rouget-de-Gourcez and de la Boule-d'Or. From a computer or smartphone, drivers can book their parking in advance, by the hour or by the day. The rate is degressive and starts at €1 per hour. The mobile application also tells them, in real time, if there are any spaces available. Once they are in front of the car park, they open the barrier using their smartphone, which is transformed into a digital remote control using a code sent by the app.
Registration on www.yespark.fr
Some parking areas are free of charge from 6 pm : Avenue de Verdun, Place and Rue de la Comédie, Rue Barbezière, Rue Baugier, Rue Duguesclin, Rue Ernest Pérochon, Rue Rabelais, Rue Saint-Gaudens, Rue Jeanne d'Arc, Parvis Notre-Dame, Rue Bion, Rue de la Cure, Rue du Tourniquet, Rue du Général Largeau, Place Saint-Jean, Rue du 24-Février, Place Mellaise
You can also take advantage of your free hour in the entire car park to take the time to have lunch in the various restaurants niortais.
Free parking :
- Denfert-Rochereau : Place Denfert Rochereau, 82 seats,
- Bessac : rue de Bessac, 352 seats,
- Capucins : rue de Fontenay, 144 seats,
- Eiffel : rue Gustave Eiffel, 67 seats,
- Gambetta : Place Gambetta, 29 seats,
- Jean Macé : rue Jean Macé, 58 spaces,
- Souché : rue de Souché, 36 spaces,
- Boulevard Main, alongside the regional media library.
6 charging stations for electric vehicles put into service by Séolis, as part of the Alterbase network: rue Archimède (Noron), at the Acclameur, the ice rink car park, rue des Prés Faucher, the Capucins car park and Place Chanzy.
Another Séolis alterbase is located less than 30 minutes from Niort, in Beauvoir-sur-Niort, avenue Saint-Jean-d'Angély, next to the main square.
Park-and-ride facilities on the outskirts of the city:
Free parking at three entry points to Niort in a dedicated area with the possibility of taking the bus to the city centre afterwards.
- Space West, in the car park of the Casino shop, route de Nantes (line 4 towards the town hall of Aiffres)
- Cassin, in the car park of the sports centre, in Aiffres (line 4 leading to Niort - Sainte-Pezenne)
- Darwin, last car park of the Acclameur (line 3).
A shuttle bus, operating on the principle of transport on demand, serves the Espace Ouest and Cassin towards the SNCF station and the Brèche gardens. Reservations required on 0.800.00.78.79.